mod_gzip intall with Apache 1.3.28-1

I tried to update to Apache 1.3.28 today and the first error was:

Syntax error on line 213 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'mod_gzip_on', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

And I didn't have mod_gzip selected in my module list.

Next I ran apt-get dist-upgrade again and selected mod_gzip:

Syntax error on line 17 of /etc/apache/modules.conf:
Cannot load /usr/lib/apache/modules/mod_gzip.so into server: /usr/lib/apache/modules/mod_gzip.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

All the other modules are listed in another directory.  For example:

  LoadModule setenvif_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_setenvif.so

Should /usr/lib/apache/modules be symlinked to /usr/lib/apache/1.3?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org