Apache 1.3.27.0-1 works fine; Apache2 2.0.46-2 won't install

I've been fiddling with Apache1 on my home server for a while. I want to start
using Subversion, and it seems that I need Apache2 for that. So, I apt-get
remove apache and apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork, at which point I get
this:

kiyone:/etc/apache# apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  apache2-mpm-prefork
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/190kB of archives. After unpacking 483kB will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package apache2-mpm-prefork.
(Reading database ... 28854 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking apache2-mpm-prefork (from .../apache2-mpm-prefork_2.0.46-2_i386.deb)
Setting up apache2-mpm-prefork (2.0.46-2) ...
touch: cannot touch `/etc/apache2/httpd.conf': No such file or directory
invoke-rc.d: initscript apache2, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing apache2-mpm-prefork (--configure):
 apache2-mpm-prefork

The '/etc/apache2' directory has not been created, so it's not suprising that
'/etc/apache2/httpd.conf' can't be touched.

I've been futzing with this for a few hours now, trying various variations of
apt-get installing and removing of apache2-mpm-prefork and some of it's
sibling packages.

I'm not an apache guru, and I'm not convinced that I am free of fault here. Is
there some other package that I need to install first? Did I not remove all
of the initial Apache installation?

What to do?

tia,
-d