Mod_throttle - is this really what I need?

Greetings to debianer apachers,

My aim was to limit the bandwith to my apache web server. According to the
descriptions I figured out, that mod_throttle is the tool I probably
looking for. So I RTFMed, and tried to set it up. Here are the lines
important from this point of view pasted out from my apache config:
LoadModule throttle_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_throttle.so

# Throttle
<IfModule mod_throttle.c>
   ThrottleMaxDelay 10
   ThrottlePolicy None
   <Location /throttle-status>
       SetHandler throttle-status
   </Location>
</IfModule>

<Directory /var/www/throttle>
   ThrottlePolicy Speed 50 1
</Directory>

The result. Throttle-status reflects the config I set up correctly. But
when I download a big file from the /throttle directory, it comes with 120
to 600 kbytes/sec depending on the actual network usage between the two
places. Then the directory becomes unavaiable for a long time.What did I miss? I configured 50 kbytes/sec! It doesn't take effect for
the first connection and it makes the directory unavail? How does it makes
sense? I've tried different policies (Original, Speed, Volume), and also
tried ThrottleClientIP with the same results.Has anyone managed to do this for his/her first connecion? What did I do
wrong? Did I miss an important option
(EnableThrottleFromTheVeryBeginning)?
I wanted traffic shapeing. Is this module really for bandwidth limiting?
Because if it behaves correctly as I see, I can say, that this is only a
request delayer, not a throttler. Is there an apache module for this
purpose (limit a directory to 50 kbytes/sec)? I'm sticked to debian.
LimitIPConn works fine, although.

Thank you 4 your help,
Dw.