Re: Packaging mod_frontpage?

Tomas Pfister said:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add FrontPage -support (http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport) to
> my Debian's Apache 1.3.24.
>
> So has anyone already done this mod, or would be the tips for doing it
> (it would be my first attempt creating a Debian package from scratch)?
>
> - Tomas

I've had a look at the above website and suggest the following:

 o RTR's FrontPage support for Apache will never be made a part of
   Debian due to the licensing
 o apart from the patch to the Apache mod_frontpage.c, there is no
   source code so you're stuck with the operating systems and
   architectures that they release binaries for (in this case, Linux
   binaries are only available for i386)

If you want to go ahead with this, you'll need to:

 o download the Debian package sources for your distribution
 o unpack the -orig.tar.gz source file and apply the Debian .diff.gz
   patch to the sources
 o apply RTR's mod_frontpage.c patch, which will also modify a few other
   bits and pieces (include/httpd.h, main/http_request.c, main/util.c)
 o fix any breakages in the above process
 o modify debian/rules to include FrontPage support, as per the RTR
   documentation (probably just include "--add-module=mod_frontpage.c")
 o run debian/rules to build the apache and apache-common packages, and
   see if it works

Also see bug #35904 [1] ... ignore the KLEZ worm attachment in there,
it's got nothing to do with the bug report.  =)

Enjoy ...

Andrew.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=35904&repeatmerged=yes

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."