Booting in text mode

Hallo
Having upgraded amd64/gnome to jessie, booting occurs graphically while I want graphics to come only when absolutely needed. Also, nautilus of gnome3 is absolutely hostile to scientific use as a quick replacement of shell commands. Too "intelligent". All that toward mass use, ok, but where is a recipe to boot in text mode? My old, simple .Xsession and killing gdm do not work anymore and I am short of time for such issues .

Or give an alternative to replace gnome3 with xfce. The latter on my work station allows booting in text mode and its file manager is not too intelligent, just useful for scientific use.

Thanks.

francesco pietra