Re: Failure lauching application since iceweasel -> Firefox

Here the reply by the developer of Vuescan, who had already let me know that he never heard of iceweasel:

This isn’t being started from VueScan code – it’s probably
something in a shared library.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

so, it seems to be an issue to be resolved within amd64 (Vuescan code works perfectly, it is only the updating that failed)

thanks

francesco pietra

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:40 PM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 04:08:36PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> On last "upgrade" of amd64 wheezy I found Firefox in place of iceweasel.
> OK, except that the single commercial application in my box (Vuescan) now
> fails to upgrade
>

> francesco@tya64:~/Vuescan$ ./vuescan
> gvfs-open: http://www.hamrick.com/upgrade-l64.html: error launching
> application: Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/iceweasel/iceweasel"
> (No such file or directory)
> francesco@tya64:~/Vuescan$
>

> I was unable to remedy with a softlink. What to do? Thanks

Why would some application be poking at another package's private
internals?  It should not be poking in /usr/lib/iceweasel.  If it wants
to do anything with iceweasel (or firefox) it should use the binary in
/usr/bin to do so.

I don't know who is responsible for gvfs-open trying to do that.