From: Himanshu Shekhar [mailto:iwm2015001@iiita.ac.in]
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:56 PM
To: Lennart Sorensen; debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Regarding dual boot

Sorry dear!

I tried with all genuine methods and installed debian 8.1.

But whoa! I lost my activated version of Windows 10. I WAS able to access all my hard drives as I did a proper shutdown but the grub os list showed no link to windows.

I reinstalled windows 10 and still am eager to run linux flawlessly.

Please guide me.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 1:09 AM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:25:49AM +0530, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> I want to dual-boot windows 10 with debian 8.1 (amd64), as I have been an
> avid linux user for many years. I want to make sure that I shall not lose
> my original copy of Windows 10 if I try to install Debian.
> Also please make me clear about issues of dual-boot windows with debian.

Well make sure you have unused space on the disk before installing
(that is, not part of a partition, not free space on C:).

As long as you don't touch the windows partitions while installing,
windows should survive just fine.

Of course backups are always recommended before doing anything major,
like an OS install.

Himanshu Shekhar

IIIT-Allahabad

IWM2015001