Re: root low space

On Friday 23 May 2014, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> In my case, described above, in order to be able to use
>
> # partclone.ext3 -c -d -s /dev/mapper/vg1-root  -o
> /home/francesco/vg1-root.img
>
> how to first umount vg1-root? I was unable to do that correctly, so that
> partclone failed because
>
> device (/dev/map//vg1-root) is mounted at  /
>
> thanks
>
> francesco
> (and sorry for such a low-level query)

I just had to deal with a similar situation -- I ran out of space on the root
file system while trying to do a dist-upgrade, leaving the package manager in a
slightly broken state.

Fortunately, I had another partition that I was able to shrink and so make
more room for / .

Just search online for "system rescue CD".  This is Gentoo-based, but don't
let that put you off.  It has an XFCE desktop, Midori web browser and -- what
you need --  gparted.

N.B.  I strongly recommend powering your computer through a UPS while
performing this operation!  If you are unfortunate enough to lose power while
in the middle of shrinking a partition, you probably will end up losing data.
All good disk tools always try at least to keep the block map correct, by
updating it piecemeal after copying each chunk of data; but when the power
fails, you don't know for a fact that any write operation that had been in
progress completed successfully.

--
AJS
Price Engines Ltd.  DDI: 01283 707058.