Re: RedHat or Debian amd64

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 04:33:20PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hello:
> I noticed that in my country supercomputer center all machines, both CPU
> (FERMI) and GPU (AURORA, PLX) run on RedHat Linux. As a long time user of
> Debian GNU Linux amd64, I am curious whether such machines elsewhere also
> run, or could run, on Debian am64. If not, why? A problem of kernel?

Some people want someone to blame if there are problems, or to demand
support from if they need something solved right away.  Redhat will sell
you support contracts and will solve problems.  But you pay for it.

If you like doing it yourself or to solve things by cooporating with
the community instead, then Debian works great.

I certainly have the impression that locations that have their own IT
people that understand the system and want to be in control of their
own situation tend to run Debian (or a Debian derived system), while
those that just want things solved and don't care to have the expertise
themselves tend to run Redhat enterprise linux instead.  After all if
you have the people and a large installation, the support contract with
redhat could pay for a lot of competent IT staff.