Re: RAID1 all bootable

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 12:26:44PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hello:
> I started this thread not because grub on both disks should be by default
> but because I found difficulties in recovering. If I performed badly, and
> there is no problem in installing grub on the working disk, then I see no
> problem. There are many raids, not limited to raid1. Perhaps it is because
> of this that there is no default for raid1.
>
> fp
>
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 5:16 AM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>
> > Alexandru Cardaniuc wrote:
> > > I just did 2 reinstalls in the last two weeks (upgrade from sqeeze to
> > > wheezy screwed up my grub config and then my 6 year old drives started
> > > failing - so much fun :), but basically during both reinstalls and
> > > creating MD devices with debian installer (md0/md1/md2) using two drives
> > > sda/sdb, by default the installer just installed grub on MBR of the
> > > first device sda. I didn't see an option to install it everywhere. So,
> > > after reboot I did a manual
> > > # grub-install /dev/sda
> > > # grub-install /dev/sdb
> > >
> > > Now when I choose to boot from either first disk or second disk, it
> > > works fine.
> > >
> > > Did I miss something during the debian installation? Why wasn't grub
> > > automatically installed on both disks?
> >
> > Seems like it should have been.  I would file a bug against the
> > debian-installer or installation-reports.
> >
> > Bob

When installing grub on a running system there is a debconf question
about which devices grub should be installed on. You can select just
one or all or anything inbetween. It doesn't matter weather the device
is part of a raid or lvm or completly unused by linux. Grub can be on
any bootable device. Personally I tend to install grub on all
non-removable drives so that the system boots no matter which drives
is seen first by the bios.

So, imho, that the Debian Installer does not ask the same question is
a bug. That it doesn't even install on all raid1 devices even more so.

So please do send in your installation report with specific mentioning
of this failing.

MfG
	Goswin