Re: nvidia 9800 GT with nouveau on wheezy

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 04:08:58PM +0200, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
>
> >Don't use the nvidia package from debian for googleearth. They do not work, as
> >the 32-bit-libs of nvidia have dependency problems. Obviously no one cared for
> >this at the moment.
> >
> >Just download the installer from the nvidia website and execute it - works
> >like a charm!
>
> yes, sure. Then relax as it hoses your system... I had to fix countless
> workstations because someone had done exactly this. Then, sooner or later
> (typically: sooner) one or another software upgrade conflicts with the many
> files distributed by the nvidia installer throughout the system, without
> registering them with the packaging system and no regard with debian
> filesystem hierarchy guidelines. Cleaning up the resulting mess is
> quite a bit of work, when (not if) you will need to.

I have done many cleanups too.  I even documented nicely how to install
the debian packaged version for many years.

I think it is Windows's fault that people think downloading and running
random executables is a good idea (which also probably explains why
windows machines are so often broken).

of course when the upgrade eventually "breaks" it, people blame debian's
upgrade, not the mess they chose to create.

> I have an alternative suggestion: if you really need recent, up to date
> nvidia drivers, get the _source_ debian package from unstable. You
> can do this by adding a deb-src line pointing to unstable in your
> /etc/apt/sources.list, or a file containing it in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> (mind you: deb-src, not deb!).
> Then you just do: apt-get source nvidia-glx
> then you go into the newly created directory, read the
> debian/README.source file and follow the instructions to create a clean
> backport, resulting in proper deb packages that you can install.
> The additional utilities (e.g. nvidia-kernel-common etc.) and
> scripts can be installed from the http://backports.debian.org
> repository matching your
> installed distribution.
> A bit more work to do, but this will be a long-term solution, easy to
> maintain following upgrades, and it will not hose your system.
>
> Just my 2¢...

I will double that too.

> Good luck, indeed!

Yeah anyone following the advice of using nvidia's isntaller will need it.