Re: is my source.list file out of date.......

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 02:53:41PM +0100, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> My source.list file looks like this:
>
> #
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.7 _Lenny_ - Official amd64 NETINST
> Binary-1 20101128-00:59]/ lenny main
>
> #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.7 _Lenny_ - Official amd64 NETINST
> Binary-1 20101128-00:59]/ lenny main
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> #deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
>
> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile squeeze/volatile main
> deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile squeeze/volatile main
>
> ********
>
> Is the debian-volatile repository redundant now?   If it is would I
> just delete it or could I put something else in there.

According to
http://lists.debian.org/debian-volatile-announce/2012/msg00000.html,
debian-volatile IS gone now. However, you have squeeze/updates in your
sources.list, so you already have the replacement. You should probably
delete the volatile lines.

> I am running Debian Squeeze on an AMD 64 machine.
>
> I recently took the hard drive out of the old AMD64 box and stuck in a
> new box with a newer motherboard in it.    The OS still runs but I
> probably freaked it a bit.  Firestarter seems not to work now.

Probably, spotting a new network card, udev has given you a new
interface in persistent-net-rules. Firestarter may be expecting to
firewall, say, eth0 but you're currently using eth1.

Check your network interfaces ('ip addr' and 'ip route' will help). If
you want, you can delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and
restart udev to re-number your interfaces.