Re: Fwd: /bin/sh linked to dash? SOlVED, however..

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 10:39:05PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> and mopac does its job. Hopefully, this should also allow the hundreds
> of other codes inside the main code to work, if the same problem
> occurs.
>
> However, I would like to have the opinion of "those who know" if this
> is the correct way of doing and why with wheezy this change.

It's not really.  If a program specifies /bin/sh, the actual shell that
gets run could be any of myriad shells (bash, dash, mksh, pdksh, posh,
etc.) that provide the minimum requirements specified by Policy, which
basically consist of a) POSIX sh and b) a tiny amount of extensions.

dash was made /bin/sh because it's faster and smaller (almost 8 times
smaller), and the default boot process still makes heavy use of shell
scripts.  Software that uses bash extensions must specify /bin/bash, not
/bin/sh.  So the solution here is to fix the buggy shell script; if
mopac needs /bin/bash, it needs to say that explicitly and not just hope
that /bin/sh is bash.