Re: Fwd: failure of scanner with gnome2 SOLVED

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Francesco Pietra wrote:

While "ls -l /dev/sg*" in my wheezy installation did not assign any
sg* to the scsi scanner, "dmesg | grep -i scsi" identified the Adaptec
card and the HP processor and assigned sg3 to the scsi. Then "chown
/dev/sg3" to me let the scsi scanner work perfectly.

Ciao Francesco.

It is udev which is in charge of recognising devices and setting up
permissions etc. accordingly. Apparently your device does not match any of
the rules in /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules. The good news is that it
should be relatively trivial to add it. Just open the file with a text
editor, find the section for scsi devices, duplicate an entry for a device
similar to yours and modify it to match your scanner. Reload udev and it
should work automagically freom next time on.

I found no way to have gnome2 automatically mount the usb flash card.
Always "no permission" and I did not bother further to understand
where the permission has to be set. Surely there is some error in the
installation. I mount the flash card manually as something not in the
fstab. An exercise before forgetting unix completely with all these
GUIs.

Check if there is a "plugdev" group in /etc/group and /etc/gshadow. If the plugdev group is not present, make sure the hal and/or pmount
packages are installed. This will create the plugdev group
Make sure the nonprivileged user you usually login as is a member of that
group. Then, on your gnome desktop, open the Computer icon (or any other
which causes nautilus to open a window), then find the "preferences" entry
in its menus (should be in Edit, or Modifica in the Italian localised
version). Go to the last tab in that preferences window, and you will be
able to configure what happens when devices are inserted.

This should be it.

Ciao
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@oa-cagliari.inaf.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

believed to be clean.