From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM
Subject: failure of scanner with gnome2
To: amd64 Debian <debian-amd64@lists.debian.org>

Dist-upgrading to wheezy (gnome2.30.2) prevents me using a scsi HP
6200C scanner. I am trying to use 64bit because my old i386 lack
memory enough for examining large graphic files with VMD; therefore, I
am trying to do everything at 64 bit to spare time.

I tried both

startx
gnome-session

and startx
exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

In both cases:

$ ls -l /dev/sg*
crw-------  1 root root  21, 0 Jun 27 16:21 /dev/sg0
crw-------  1 root root  21, 1 Jun 27 16:21 /dev/sg1
crw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 21, 2 Jun 27 16:21 /dev/sg2
crw-rw----+ 1 root root  21, 3 Jun 27 16:21 /dev/sg3

instead of the expected "root scanner" to which affording permission
(as it occurred with gnome in squeeze amd64).

Incidentally, a flash card is not automatically mounted (no
permission) but was solved by manual mounting as vfat.

Thanks for suggestions as to making the scanner available (not seen by
either save or vuescan).

francesco pietra