Re: running CUDA cards

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 08:32:13AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> That was the point and I can summarize how the error arose. It may
> help other users about debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst.iso for wheezy.
>
> (1) Manual partitioning with raid1, two raids, one for /boot and
> another one lvm with home, opt, usr, etc.
>
> (2) German mirror (univ-Koeln) for "standard system" installation only.
>
> (3) Being no other OS present, install grub on /boot.
>
> (4) Removed CDROM, boot into the sytem, kernel 2.6.32-5 (I wronly
> assumed it was for wheezy).

6.0 is squeeze, so that's what you get with the 6.0.1a installer.

To get a testing installer you would have had to go to
www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ and look for the daily images.

> (5) Edited sources.list for wheezy. Update, upgrade, install X, nvidia packages.
>
> There was a mismatch from the installed kernel and the subsequent
> installations for wheezy. nvidia packages were actually installed
> according to the procedure that you indicated, but because of the
> mismatch ....
>
> (6) dist-upgrade, getting kernel 2.6.38-2 (not 2.6.38-5).
>
> (7) Installed twm and xinit and modified .Xsession:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
> xterm &
> exec twm
>
> startx works correctly, while linux-image-2.6-amd64 and
> linux-headers-2.6-amd64 are correctly installed.
>
> May I ask
> (a) What should have been done in between steps (4) and (5) to avoid
> the mismatch?

Best bet for running wheezy is use the testing installer, not the stable
installer.  Otherwise a dist-upgrade should pull in the current kernel
(which step 6 seems to have done).  Installing stable and changing
sources.list and doing a dist-upgrade works too, but takes a bit longer.

> (b) Should I look for 2.6.38-5?

No, I hit the wrong key. :)

> (c) I don't remember how to remove the previous 2.6.32-5 kernel.

'apt-get autoremove' will probably offer to remove it.  If not you can do
'dpkg --purge linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64'.

> Thanks a lot for your learned and kind help.

No problem.