Re: running CUDA cards

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 04:58:18PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> From the recent network install CD, I have set up a RAID1 software with
>
> ext2 /boot in a first raid
>
> and root, usr, opt, var, tmp and home ext3, plus swap into a second raid LVM.
>
> Installed the 'base system' only for the moment, with sources.list
> pointing to 'wheezy' (which is now in the state of testing, no more
> unstable). Only failed to fetch multimedia in spite of requesting the
> key (timeout). Perhaps I should have installed
> <debian-multimedia_2008.1016_all.deb>, or what more recent exists,
> with dpkg. Not tried.
>
> Installed <xterm>.
>
> Created hidden file <.Xsession> as follows
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xrdb -load$HOME/.Xresources
> exec xterm
>
> into my home, as I am used at computing from the Linux prompt, without
> calling the X server (I dont' know if this will be the case with CUDA
> ).
>
> Using your kind suggestions for a squeeze installation:
>

> Installed <nvidia-kernel-dkms>.
>
> At
> apt-get install nvidia-glx-dev libcuda1-dev libcuda1
>
> the first two were not available. The first one replaced by
> libgl1-nvidia-glx libcuda1. The second one replaced by libcuda1.
>
> apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx libcuda1
>
> also installed <libnvidia-ml1> and <nvidia-smi>.
>
> My .bashrc -as obtained from the installation - was only added of
> <alias rm='rm -i'>.  In a i386 squeeze installation (not in lenny
> amd64 installations) .bashrc contains
>
> VEGADIR=/usr/local/bin/Vega
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/bin/Vega
> export VEGADIR
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> At the console command

You have to reboot after installing nvidia-glx to make sure it is NOT
using the neuvou kernel driver.  Otherwise the nvidia driver gets cranky.

> the system crashes.
>
> while command <startx> is not recognized>.
>
> I regret putting these last naive reports, perhaps tired by the
> attention required by the setting up of RAID1, a procedure that is
> only repeated every many months and thus not at immediate memory.

I didn't think you would actually run X on the machine.  You have to
setup X to use the nvidia driver then.  apt-get install nvidia-xconfig,
then run nvidia-xconfig, and that should take care of it.