Re: libcholmod

On Thursday 05 May 2011, brian m. carlson wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 02:18:33PM -0400, Robert Isaac wrote:
> > > It will also affect multiarch, where those two versions of a library
> > > package may be for separate architectures.
> >
> > You'll have to explain how a library in lib32 could possibly conflict
> > with a library in lib64 as long as ld is doing its job correctly.
>
> My comment about multiarch was an extension of the previous paragraph.
> If those extra development files (such as headers) end up in both
> library packages, they may cause a file conflict.

So what happens if you have multiple library versions under Linux From
Scratch, then?  I'm genuinely curious.

I still think separate -dev packages make compiling from source unnecessarily
complicated, and benefit only a minority who already have a clue how to deal
with the problems that would be caused by including -dev files in the main
packages.  Even an APT option to always install -dev files would be an
improvement  (especially if it was on by default for n00b installs).

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk