chroot to 32bit

My main box is amd64 debian testing/unstable. Can i do this ? ->

(1) plug in a harddisk with a 32 bit ubuntu (maverick), taken from a remote offline computer,

(2) do a chroot into the maverick

(3) aptitude update and download missing packages

(4) back to the remote computer, perform the pending installation

I fear there might be problems with file permissions even if i do the chroot with mavericks sudo users UID, and think it may be safer to do the package debconf tasks beack on the original system. I hope there's a way to download only with piping the aptitude list of packages-to-install to apt-get -d
somehow.

My amd64 cpu should be 32bit compatible. But my main question here is are there problems with the maverick 32bit libraries running in a 64bit chroot ?

I'm sorry because i'm a little bit in a hurry and decided to bother you, while i really just should find  myself.