Re: ACER aspire crash on boot with newer kernels

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 07:21:59AM -0600, Hank J. van Leuvensteijn wrote:
> Oops.. seems I originally posted in html - didn't mean to offend....
>
> Marian Corcodel wrote:
>> You may enter on bios ant try to disable second procesor.
>
> I'd like to keep my two processors going... Newer kernels should do more
> than older ones, not less right?
>

>> 2010/8/12 Hank J. van Leuvensteijn <lionstone@mail.com
>> <mailto:lionstone@mail.com>>
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     I'm running Debian 5.0.5 on an ACER Aspire with Athlon 64 X2 4800+
>>     processor.
>>
>>     I used to run Fedora, but could not install that on this box
>>     (wouldn't boot)
>>
>>     I tried other tastes, and landed on Debian with kernel 2.6.18-amd64
>>
>>     Everything has been running beautiful, and I'm a convert - however:
>>
>>     Newer Kernels ALL crash after bringing up the second processor,
>>     just after a screen message saying:

>>     [   0.232014] Brought up 2 CPUs
>>     [   0.232014] Total of 2 processors activated (9988.73 BogoMIPS)
>>     ___system freezes___
>>

>>     Can someone please tell me which log a proper guru might need to
>>     see to be able to help me?
>>
>>     I didn't want to bog up this space with 500 lines of Kernel log ;-P
>>
>>     Thanks a million,

Often the problem is the message that didn't print, so whatever happens
AFTER the processors are brought up in this case.  After all the messages
are usually what has happened, not what is about to happen.

You can try booting the kernel with SMP disabled.  I forget the excact
kernel option for it, but you should be able to find that and tell
grub manually to use it at boot and see if it helps, but it is probably
something else.

Which kernel version is crashing and which is working?

Does the box have an ATI chipset in it?