Re: ATI proprietary drivers installation failures

On 11/29/2010 04:06 AM, dagecko@free.fr wrote:

----- "brian m. carlson"<sandals@crustytoothpaste.net>  a écrit :

Is your installation i386 with a 64-bit kernel, or is it amd64?

Right. In fact ,it is i386 with 64-bit kernel.

What it sounds like to me is that you're using a 64-bit kernel on
i386,
which is supported by Debian (and in general, a good idea).  However,
in this case, the programs provided with the ATI drivers expect a
64-bit
userspace with a 64-bit kernel, and you cannot mix 32-bit and 64-bit
binaries in the same program.  And most libraries for i386 are not
available in 64-bit versions.

I see. I understand now why I was facing these problems. I feel a bit
shameful not having thinking about this before.

Your choices here are:

* use a 64-bit userland (amd64), 64-bit kernel, and the fglrx
drivers;
* use a 32-bit userland (i386), 32-bit kernel, and the fglrx drivers;
* wait for multi-arch to be implemented; or
* use the free drivers.

Thanks. I'm going to try an amd 64 installation.

Note that in the NVIDIA world there *is* a way to do this, so you might want to Google for something like:
    Linux fglrx 64-bit kernel 32-bit userland

--
Seek truth from facts.