Re: ATI proprietary drivers installation failures

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:14:43PM +0100, dagecko@free.fr wrote:
> Here is the problem:
>
> I can't install official ATI drivers for my graphic card when using 64 bits
> kernels (tested on lenny and squeeze).

Is your installation i386 with a 64-bit kernel, or is it amd64?

> At the end, X programs (as for aticonfig) do not start, complaining about they
> can't find some libraries (first is libXrandr). In fact, these programs expect
> 64 bits libraries, which are not providen with Debian.
> Of course, making a simple link from these libraries into lib64 directory
> doesn't help since (the programs complain then about these libraries are
> ELF32 and not ELF64).

What it sounds like to me is that you're using a 64-bit kernel on i386,
which is supported by Debian (and in general, a good idea).  However,
in this case, the programs provided with the ATI drivers expect a 64-bit
userspace with a 64-bit kernel, and you cannot mix 32-bit and 64-bit
binaries in the same program.  And most libraries for i386 are not
available in 64-bit versions.

Your choices here are:

* use a 64-bit userland (amd64), 64-bit kernel, and the fglrx drivers;
* use a 32-bit userland (i386), 32-bit kernel, and the fglrx drivers;
* wait for multi-arch to be implemented; or
* use the free drivers.