Re: rollback after software upgrade

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 03:18:33PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> I disagree.
>
> Suppose we combined a sufficient combination of:
>
> - Knowing which files contain configuration for a given package;
> - Knowing which directories contain configuration for the package;
>
> One might set up an SCM repository for that package's data, and
> automatically track:
> - Versions tied to package releases
> - Versions captured from what administrators had set up
>
> There are a number of ways to capture such, including:
> - Tag version sets in an SCM like git/monotone/hg/...
> - Capture all the configuration in tarballs that get stowed, marked
> with names based on some naming convention, consistently in some
> place.
> - Capture all the configuration embedded in XML files that get stowed,
> marked with names based on some naming convention, consistently in
> some place.
>
> Actually, I rather like the tarball idea.  SCM's cool, but probably overkill.

Going back to an old version does NOT mean you want to go back to the
config you had with that version.  You may have made required changes
since upgrading.  If you can't handle that, you still have not actually
handled the problem.  Of course given you can't actually really handle
the full problem, I guess all you can do is come up with different
mechanisms that handle part of the problem.

Or you could just not downgrade (Works for me so far).