Re: rollback after software upgrade

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Michael <codejodler@gmx.ch> wrote:
> I just think that the format is the obstacle that makes developing some level of automation too tedious.

I disagree.

Suppose we combined a sufficient combination of:

- Knowing which files contain configuration for a given package;
- Knowing which directories contain configuration for the package;

One might set up an SCM repository for that package's data, and
automatically track:
- Versions tied to package releases
- Versions captured from what administrators had set up

There are a number of ways to capture such, including:
- Tag version sets in an SCM like git/monotone/hg/...
- Capture all the configuration in tarballs that get stowed, marked
with names based on some naming convention, consistently in some
place.
- Capture all the configuration embedded in XML files that get stowed,
marked with names based on some naming convention, consistently in
some place.

Actually, I rather like the tarball idea.  SCM's cool, but probably overkill.