Re: rollback after software upgrade
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Michael <email@example.com> wrote:
> I just think that the format is the obstacle that makes developing some level of automation too tedious.
Suppose we combined a sufficient combination of:
- Knowing which files contain configuration for a given package;
- Knowing which directories contain configuration for the package;
One might set up an SCM repository for that package's data, and
- Versions tied to package releases
- Versions captured from what administrators had set up
There are a number of ways to capture such, including:
- Tag version sets in an SCM like git/monotone/hg/...
- Capture all the configuration in tarballs that get stowed, marked
with names based on some naming convention, consistently in some
- Capture all the configuration embedded in XML files that get stowed,
marked with names based on some naming convention, consistently in
Actually, I rather like the tarball idea. SCM's cool, but probably overkill.