Re: how to do science with amd64 lenny

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 13:04 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 06:05:05PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Hello:
> > For computational chemistry on the stable amd64 I needed yesterday
> > MPICH2. As the deb package is only in testing, I compiled MPICH2 for
> > stable, but the parallelized program needs python2.6, only available
> > in testing. I doubt I am able enough to compile python.
> >
> > I can't move to testing because I am not allowed to do that not only
> > for the risk of testing distributions for computational work but also
> > because older key computational package do not run on testing.
> >
> > Question: would installing python2.6 on lenny from unstable be safe
> > enough by using apt-pinning? I have no system expert here. I would be
> > responsible for damage to the software.
> >
> > Otherwise, do you know a distribution of linux that overcomes such
> > problems by making some key recent packages available for their stable
> > version? I could suggest to move to that because of recurring problems
> > for us.
>
> I would consider moving python2.6 likely more risky than simply moving
> to testing entirely.
>
> No distribution can provide recent packages for stable releases because
> then it isn't stable anymore.  Too many other dependancies end up having
> to be pulled in in many cases.
>
> Either you want stable, or you want current.  You can not have both.

Ubuntu gets around this by a much more rapid release cycle than Debian.
It has had Python 2.6 since Karmic last Fall, and Lucid (current stable)
has mpich2 (Karmic may have as well).

Do your legacy apps run on new Ubuntu releases?

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/