how to configure the DNS?

Hello,

I have the following problem: I configured well the net on Debian with
my home router and my wifi,but sometimes probably because of power save
options,the wifi card turns off I guess,and then the net disconnects.It
wouldn't be problem,because I can handle it with a simple ifconfig wlan0
down and ifconfig wlan0 up,after this I find the router,but none of the
distant adresses,so probably I have no set up DNS server.Is there any
trick to avoid system restart in this case?How could I set the DNS myself?

Thanks for your help,

Gábor