Re: reinstalling X.Org server

On 01/30/2009 04:18 PM, Francesco Pietra wrote:
Is it possible to reinstall X.Org server on a multisocket dual-opteron
computer running amd64 lenny?

Why? Failure of a DIMM bank did no more allow to launch amd64. Removed
the faulty slots, amd64 could be launched and the system seemed to be
in order. Filled the empty bank with fresh DDR1 ECC, the total memory
increased correspondingly. Again, it was now possible to carry out
sophisticated chemical calculations.

However, needing now to check 3D molecular structures, I found that
"startx" does not launch X anymore, X only appearing as a flash at the
bottom of the screen.  I checked many X-related files against a i386
lenny, ssh linked, computer (in particular /etc/X11/xorg.conf), don't
detecting damaged lines. I did not carry out a checksum. Command:

tail --lines 200 /var/log/Xorg.0.log|grep EE

was not much informative, as shows below between === lines.

I suspect that one or more X-related files were damaged as a
consequence of the RAM problems above.

Thanks
francesco pietra.

========================
(II) MACH64(0): Not using default mode "1920x1440" (insufficient
memory for mode)
(II) MACH64(0): Not using default mode "960x720" (bad mode
[snip]
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed

Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x6a) [0x48dd0a]
1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x2b1686b4ef60]