Re: grub-setup: could not embedding core.img

Jack Schneider schrieb:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:19:55 +0100
Markus Neviadomski <lists@dieitexperten.de> wrote:

Hello,

after the apt-get upgrade yesterday my debian sid box doesnt boot,
becaue of a broken grub2. Grub stops booting with the rescue-prompt
and prints an error: symbol "grub_gettext" not found, similar to this
bug: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=558312

Booting into the rescue from a debian cd and running update-grub
(running perfect) and grub-install /dev/sda or grub-install/dev/sdb i
got following error:
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Your core.img is unusually large. It won't
fit in the embedding area.
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: Embedding is not possible, but this is
required when the root device is on a RAID array or LVM volume.
I found a debian bug, which is a little bit corresponding to this
message, but this should resolved:

I have no idea...is this a new bug, an old bug or only a silly
mistake? I purged the whole grub and reinstalled from rescue system
and run ino the same problem.

A short overview on my box:
/dev/md0, contains /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 (working fine in recue
mode) /dev/vg0/lvroot  contains with all folders instead
of  /home, /temp and swap and is located on /dev/md0

Installed kernels:
linux-image-2.6.30-2-amd64
linux-image-2.6.31-1-amd64

Hi, Markus
I have had a similar problem since mid September, Developers are
working on device-kit.
Did you try both kernels?  2.6.30-1 works for me. You're an update
ahead of me.. 2.6.30-2-amd64 definitely doesn't work for me...
Mdadm & LVM2..

Hi Jack,

both kernels was running perfectly i thought. I dont now any possibility how to get to know, which packages exactly was updated yesterday on my box.
How did you solved the problem for yourself? Or is the box unusable since sebtember? Do you have a bugtracking number for the devicekit package?

Greetings Markus

FWIW

Jack