Re: ia32-apt-get and dependencies errors

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 05:12:46PM +0100, A J Stiles wrote:
> I honestly don't see the need for ia32-apt-get.
>
> What's wrong with just, you know, compiling your software for a 64-bit
> architecture in the first place?
>
> The only conceivable reason why anyone might want to run software compiled for
> 32-bits on a 64-bit machine is that they didn't have the Source Code.  And if
> you don't have the Source Code -- which is your *only* guarantee that the
> software isn't going to do nasty things -- you certainly should not be
> running it in an unprotected environment.
>
> Closed-source software should only ever be run in a chroot, on a virtual
> machine, or on a physically separate machine firewalled off from the rest of
> the network.  Anything else is just not safe.

Of course most people live in reality and also some software isn't
64 bit compatible even with the sources.

Also having sources doesn't mean you will read it all or that even if
you do that you will understand it all.  If it was that simple there
wouldn't be security holes and bugs in the code.