Re: VM Ware Player under Debian Lenny AMD64 on laptop

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:47:07PM +0400, James Brown wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:10:49PM +0400, James Brown wrote:
> >
> >> I intend to install on my laptop under Debian Lenny AMD 64  the VM Ware
> >> Player 2.5.2 from http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html
> >> (becouse there is no VMWare Player in the official repositories of the
> >> Debian).
> >> Which of the packege do I need - rpm or bundle? How do install it on Debian?
> >> And what of libraries and etc. do I need install for succesfull using
> >> VMWare Player?
> >>

> > You do not want the rpm.
> >
> > I don't like the current bundles either.  I keep nagging vmware to provide
> > the tar files that worked with make-vmpkg again, but they are too clueless
> > to understand why real admins won't run GUI installer crap in X as root
> > on their systems rather than something the package manager can deal with.
> >
> > Fortunately we now have kvm (on machines with virtualization hardware
> > support) which is in my opinion much better than vmware, free, open
> > source, and maintained and part of stock kernels.  I have no need for
> > vmware anymore.
> >

> Wow!
> When I tried install the kvm, the system tell me: "Your system does not
> have the CPU extensions required to use KVM. Not doing anything. failed!"

As I said, on machines with virtualization hardware support.  Also known
as vt-* on intel and svm on amd.

On an intel system, if /proc/cpuinfo has the flag 'vmx', then it should
work.  On some systems you have to enable it in the BIOS first.  On an
amd system the flag to look for would be svm as far as I know.

Many Core 2 systems support it, all Core i7 systems support it.
Pentium line systems do not as far as I know.

Another option is qemu using kqemu.  Not quite as fast as kvm, but still
very good and the same feature set.  kqemu is probably about the speed
of vmware.

What CPU do you have?  What does /proc/cpuinfo say?