Re: AMD vs Intel in 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 02:43:25PM -0300, Fabricio Cannini wrote:
> On Monday 15 June 2009 20:41:04 Dean Hamstead wrote:
> > AMD cant beat the top end intels,
> > But bang for buck in the mid and low range you can still do well with
> > AMD. On the low range, its AMD all the way.
> >
> > Watch out on some of the AMD cpu's, as some of the qauds had nasty bugs.
> > Would be worth your while to read some reviews on them before buying.
>

> I second that. If you want the absolutely very top ( sounds nice eh ? :D ) of
> x86 hardware, then go with an, say, intel corei7 975.
> But you're fine with a little less than it, then go for say, an amd phenon x4
> 955. They're very nice chips too, and waaaaaay cheaper.
>
> Core i7 975:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115212
>
> Phenom x4 955:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674
>

> > Personally, i will be buying a phenom 2 black edition in the not too
> > distant future.
>
> Me too (an x4, actually), and some radeons to play with gpu <-> cpu stuff.
> Niiiiice ...

Well I just ordered a core i7 920.  Yeah the mainboard is a little more
expensive, but what a nice little chip for the money.

The 955 and 975's are a bit hard to justify for the money though.
The Phenom's certianly are cheap, but I find that once you consider the
cost of the system, not just the CPU, then the AMDs are too underpowered
for the money,