Re: OT Kernel debug

A Dimarts 26 Maig 2009, Douglas A. Tutty va escriure:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:01:25AM +0200, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> > A Dilluns 25 Maig 2009, Douglas A. Tutty va escriure:
> > > On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 08:16:14PM +0200, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's my /boot/grub/menu.lst that shows how to set it up.  Grub will
> > > start with something like "press a key to continue" so that it knows
> > > whether you're at the serial console or the main (VGA) console, and
> > > thend presents the usual menu.
> >
> > Thanks a lot. Tomorrow I will find a serial cable .... I hope that the
> > Poweredge server has serial console...
> >
> > But, if you have serial console, do you have vga?
>
> Sure, inittab still gives you a getty on the VGA.
>
> Grub can only use _either_ the serial or the VGA.
>
> The kernel will send messages to whatever console= commands you give it,
> accepting input on the last console= given.  Thus, the serial-console
> entry in menu.lst is console=tty console=ttyS1,38400n8.  You'll get
> message on both.
>
> Another option for you if you have either a serial or paralell printer
> (I don't know if it works for USB printers) is to use lp0 as a console
> parameter, before console=tty, so that input is still from the VGA, but
> messages are printed out directly.

Well,

I have managed to get a null modem cable [1], and I have followed some links
[2,3], but really I have not be able to have a console ....

Maybe I'm wrong setting the ttySX of the cable has some problem, or whatever.
But, when grub boots, the box is stopped waiting a key, and after press a key
box boots normal.

I have tested running minicom or gtkterm in another box, but no login or
message showed ..

Thanks for all,

best regards,

Leo