Re: Toshiba track pad quit working under Debian sid

Am Donnerstag 30 April 2009 schrieb Seb:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 23:21:47 +0200,
>
> "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 29 April 2009 schrieb Seb:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The track pad of a laptop Toshiba Satellite dual processor AMD64,
> >> running sid has quit working after upgrading to the new kde 4. The
> >> system also has M$ Vista on it on a different partition, and the
> >> track pad works fine there. I can't find the issue mentioned around
> >> the web. For now, I've just connected a mouse to the laptop. Has
> >> anybody else experienced this, and are there any tips as to what to
> >> check? Thanks.
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> -- Seb
> >
> > You did not mention, if it is an synaptics hardware or an alps
> > driver. Please read the sysnaptics docs, how to find out.
> >
> > And please tell:
> >
> > Does it not work at all?
> >
> > Or are some functions missing? (I had had the problem, that
> > tap-to-click did not work, due to a muissing configuration line in
> > xorg.conf)
> >
> > There is a troubleshooting.txt avaialable in the package of
> > xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.
>
> Thanks Hans, I installed that package and now the track pad works again
> (it wasn't working at all). Why the exact same system worked without
> this package for over a year until the recent kde4 upgrades, and how I
> could have guessed it is suddenly needed, I will never find out in my
> wildest dreams.
>

> --
> Seb
Hi Seb,

I guess, this is either because the touchpad might have be seen as a normal ps/2 mouse or the package had been deleted after the last upgrade (installation of the latest package xserver-xorg forced this).

In the first case (when it has bee senn as a ps/2 mouse) you would have remarked no differnce, when you never need options like "scrolling on the side" or "scrolling on the button" with your touchpad.

The synaptics driver is very well to configure and much better and comfortabler than in windows.

In the second case, you can find out by checking your logs.

It is always rather dissatisfied, not to know, what happened for me.

Cheers,

Hans