About finding shared libraries

Hi:
With amd64 lenny I have circumvented the issue

"dynamic linkage is also a headache in that the mechanisms
used to find shared libraries during dynamic loading are not all that robust
on Linux systems running MPICH or other MPI packages
....................  for the compilers that use compiler shared
libraries (ifort,
pathscale), we use LD_LIBRARY_PATH during configuration to set an -rpath
linkage option, which is reliably available in the executable."

by compiling with gcc g++ gfortran, both openmpi-1..3.1 and a parallel
computational code. With intel compilers (contrary to the time of
amd64 etch and a simpler dual-opteron computer) I was unable to have
them recognizing their library liimf.so, although it is available at
boot on the unix path.  A mixed gcc g++ ifort compilation only worked
with two-socket mainboards, not with 4-socket.

Unfortunately, the fastest executable (+ 40%) of the said code lists
in "./configure -help' only compaqf90 f90 ifort pathf90 pgf90 xlf90. I
must rely on this faster executable, otherwise, with limited hardware,
I can't perform the simulations.

Question: could a gentleman please clarify plainly the meaning of "for
the compilers ..executable" above and how to implement it with amd64?
Also, is there any hope to satisfy (i mean flags) the f90 request with
gfortran? What I did is sourcing the path to the libraries at boot
(calling from my .bashrc the intel *.sh file to this concern. "echo
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" shows the path to the requested library but intel
does not see it.

Thanks a lot
francesco pietra