Re: Problems with linux-image-amd64 on 32bit OS

On Tuesday 24 Mar 2009, Brett Viren wrote:
> I have several Opteron systems running 32 bit Debian and a very large
> C++ based software stack for doing Physics simulations and analysis
> (ROOT, Geant4, Gaudi).  Somewhat recently the kernels for these CPUs
> switched to a 32/64 bit biarch kernel with the linux-image-amd64
> series.
>
> My problem is that "uname -m" now reports x86_64 and much of the
> software I build triggers off of this to use GCC's "-m64" flag.  The
> build then fails as it then tells the g++ headers to include stuff
> that isn't there.
>
> I've tried to fix the problem software builds but they tenaciously
> refuse to bend to my will (gccxml is a particularly bad one).  I also
> have more software that I know will fail, each in a uniquely annoying
> way, due to this 32/64 bit mismatch.

* sigh * This is precisely why Debian on AMD64 was always intended to be a
pure 64-bit system from the get-go.  Use Debian packages, or build everything
yourself from Source Code, and you won't have problems.

If an application won't compile cleanly on a pure 64-bit OS  (the most notable
example being OpenOffice.org 1.x),  it's the *application* that is broken.
Not the OS.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk