Re: Update of KDE changes personal settings

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 02:45:39PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> in the past I discovered, that an update of KDE on a debian-amd64 system is
> changing personal settings.

Debian does not change personal settings which means "user settings"
that are set per account.  Settings that are system wide are not personal
settings (even though you might personally have set them as the admin
of your system).

A lot of things are selected using the alternatives system (see
update-alternatives command) and default to auto where it selects the
available application with the highest priority.  If you manually use
the update-alternatives to select which application you like, then it
should not change it on you.

> As I read, this behaviour is against the rules of debian, so I found it worth,
> to remark it.
>
> I at least found to changes out:
>
> 1. the settings for files with an ending FLV (flash video) are changed.
>
> 2. the rights of bluetooth (namely the kbluetooth-server) and the network
> access (namely Knemo) are delimitered and do no more work for normal users.
>

> I may admit, that the second point might also have to do with general changes
> in debian, but I could not yet found out any proove in any changelogs.

No idea about those.  I don't use either.