Re: raid1 issue, somewhat related to recent "debian on big machines"

Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:02:31AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> writes:

>> > from memory but the outline of who I install
>> >
>> > Create 3 paritions 1 2 3 on sda and sdb of 500M 10G (this is going to be
>> > raid1) the rest of the hard drive
>> >
>> > select all the partitions to be a raid device
>> >
>> > configure raid
>> > md0 = sda1 sdb1
>> > md1 = sda2 sdb2
>> > md2 = sda3 sdb3
>> >
>> > select md0 as type ext2 mount /boot
>> > select md1 as type ext3 mount /
>> > select md2 as type lvm device
>>
>> If you have a seperate / then you don't need /boot and 10G for /
>> without /home, /usr, /var (see below) is way too big.
> I had forgotten about /var I usually only place /var/log on a separate
> lvm
>
> I would still argue for a separate /boot - plain old ext2, mount it ro
> until kernel upgrade, maybe store a rescue image on their, and with the
> size of disks now a days whats 500m or even 10G

Have a 1GB / and mount it read-only.

But if you do want a seperate /boot then put / on lvm too and move and
link /etc/lvm to /boot/lvm. There is no reason to have another
partition and raid and the benefits of lvm are there too.

MfG
        Goswin