Re: raid1 issue, somewhat related to recent "debian on big machines"

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 09:53:14AM +0100, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> To my dismay, I tried (repeatedly) unsuccessfully to implement the
> scheme below on old Tyan S2895 with two dual-opteron and two new
> Maxtor 250GB, before moving to the new machine. With the recent amd
> installer, I tried to set up (manually) the two partitions on both
> disks to set up raid1.
>
> First, I tried with a 0.2GB partition for boot but I found no way to
> have lvm for the other partition and where to set the root file
> system.
>
> Then, I tried with a 1GB partition but found no way to have it for
> both boot and root.

from memory but the outline of who I install

Create 3 paritions 1 2 3 on sda and sdb of 500M 10G (this is going to be
raid1) the rest of the hard drive

select all the partitions to be a raid device

configure raid
md0 = sda1 sdb1
md1 = sda2 sdb2
md2 = sda3 sdb3

select md0 as type ext2 mount /boot
select md1 as type ext3 mount /
select md2 as type lvm device

configure lvm

... create your lvm partitions ....
select each one and specify fs type and mount point

then proceed

> In both cases, the installer claimed to have the root file system.
>
> What I need to have for the compilations of applications are /home
> /usr /opt /var /swap. The bad way I used previously, was to start from
> these partitions and put each on raid. So I finished with so many
> raid#.
>
> thanks
> francesco

[snip]

--
"Justice ought to be fair."

	- George W. Bush
12/15/2004
Washington, DC
speaking at the White House Economic Conference