Re: OpenOffice.org broken in AMD64 Sid?

Russ Cook wrote:
Rene Engelhard wrote:
Sandro Tosi wrote:
What about reporting a bug? execute

Please not. The BTS is not a support forum, it is for actual bugs.

providing the actual problem you're facing ("it doesn't open document"
is a little too generic) and all other information you can gather

Well, if I interpret apt-cache showpkg right he doesn't seem to have -writer
installed, so *of course* he cannot open word docs.

-> *user error.*

Grüße/Regards,

René
Perhaps it *is *user error, but I took no explicit action to remove any modules, and the Open Office did work previously. It was my understanding that apt-get upgrade never removes packages, so I thought perhaps there was a disconnect in the package structure of openoffice for Sid.

Is there a metapackage that will reinstall all basic functionality of the openoffice suite (writer, spreadsheet, presentation) or must I now research the missing components and manually install? I was under the (mis)understanding that running apt-get install install openoffice.org would do
this, but it does not (for me).

It appears that running "sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-writer" will install this missing module, plus several others (output attached) and I will do this momentarily. But I don't understand why
the modules went AWOL in the first place.
Maybe it's just one of the joys an unsophisticated Debian user should expect when running the
unstable distribution.  I rarely have problems like this.

Thanks for the responses!

Running "sudo apt-get install --reinstall openoffice.org"
appears to be fixing the problem.  Thanks for all replies.