Re: "big" machines running Debian?

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:28:04PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:50:06AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >> Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> writes:

[snip]

> And now they have to learn that we have new technologies. New
> requirements and new solutions. What was good 5 years ago isn't
> neccessarily good today. Saddly enough a lot of purse strings seem to
> be made of stone and only move in geological timespans. :)

some do and some don't - the old ideology of nobody got sacked for
buying IBM

[snip]

> Could be. If you build storage for a DB you want SAS disks and
> raid1. If you build a petabyte storage cluster for files >1GB then you
> rather want 3 times as many SATA disks. An XYZ only rule will always
> be bad for some use cases.

True I had a customer buy a 8T fc disk array lustre based and then they expanded it
soon afterwards

> > Traditionally scsi drives had a longer warranty period, were meant to be
> > of better build that cheap ata (sata) drives.
> >
> > Although this line is getting blurred a bit.
>
> There surely is a difference between a 24/7, 5 year warranty, server
> SCSI disk and a cheap home use SATA disk. But then again there are
> also 24/7, 5 year warranty, server SATA disks.
>
> I don't think there is any quality difference anymore between the scsi
> and sata server disks.
>
> > Unless we talk about a specific situation, storage as other areas of IT
> > are very fluid, and there are many solutions to each problem.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > Look at the big data centers of google and such that use pizza box's
> > machine dies who cares its clustered and they will get around to fixing
> > it at some point. to 4-8 nods clusters of oracle that are just about
> > maxed out, one server goes down and ....
>
> Same here. Nobody builds HA into a HPC cluster. If a node fails the
> cluster runs with less node. Big deal.

you would be surprised how many people want HA head nodes

> Saddly enough for storage there is a distinct lack of
> software/filesystems that can work with such a lax reliability. With
> the growing space requirements and stalling size increase in disk size
> there are more and more components in a storage cluster. I feel that
> redundancy has to move to a higher level. Away from the disk level
> where you have raid and towards true distributed redundancy across the
> storage cluster as a whole.

yes it would be nice. My thoughts are we haven't seen any big jumps in
data storage for a while, nothing like we are seeing in memory and cpu
speed.