Re: "big" machines running Debian?

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:50:06AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> writes:

[snip]

> > true, depends on whos rule of thumb you use. I have seen places where
> > mandate fc drives only in the data center - get very expensive when you
> > want lots of disk space.
>
> The only argument I see for FC is a switched sorage network. As soon
> as you dedicate a storage box to one (or two) servers there is really
> no point in FC. Just use a SAS box with SATA disks inside. It is a)
> faster, b) simpler, c) works better and d) costs a fraction.

The problem I have seen is the person who controls the purse strings
doesn't always have have the best technological mind.  There was a while
back where have fibre meant fibre to the disk. So managers wanted fibre
to the disk, so they paid for fibre to the disk.

> And hey, we are talking big disks space for a single system here. Not
> sharing one 16TB raid box with 100 hosts.
>
> > Also the disk space might not be need for feeding across the network, db
> > aren't the only thing that chew through disk space.
> >
> > the op did specific enterprise, I was think very large enterprise, the
> > sort of people who mandate scsi or sas only drives in their data centre
>
> They have way to much money and not enough brain.

I would have to dissagree, some times the guidelines that you set for
your data storage network mandate having the reliability (or the
performance) of scsi (or now sas), they could be valid business
requirements.

Traditionally scsi drives had a longer warranty period, were meant to be
of better build that cheap ata (sata) drives.

Although this line is getting blurred a bit.

Unless we talk about a specific situation, storage as other areas of IT
are very fluid, and there are many solutions to each problem.

Look at the big data centers of google and such that use pizza box's
machine dies who cares its clustered and they will get around to fixing
it at some point. to 4-8 nods clusters of oracle that are just about
maxed out, one server goes down and ....