Re: unable to install lenny using CD1 (26-Jan-2009)

On Thursday 29 Jan 2009, Gaius Mulley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to install lenny amd64 (using CD1) on a:
>
> CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz stepping 0a
>
> the CD boots but the kernel fails to find the CDROM.  Under Ubuntu the
> CDROM device is /dev/scd0 - but no such device exists (in /dev/) when
> lenny is booted.  I'm wondering whether I'm doing something obviously
> wrong?
>
> Ubuntu reports the CDROM as:
>
> $ cdrecord -scanbus
> scsibus5:
>         5,0,0   500) 'TSSTcorp' 'CDDVDW SH-S202J ' 'SB02' Removable
>         CD-ROM
>
> apologies if it really is straightforward.
>
> regards,
> Gaius

I had something similar.

In the end, I used my MP3 player as a boot device  (it was the nearest USB
mass storage device to hand)  to install Debian from the Internet, and built
a new kernel in order to get the optical drive working properly.  Some
modules had changed their names between versions, so I had to compare the
config files very very carefully to see what was going on.

There's probably a really elegant solution involving re-mastering the Debian
CD using a kernel borrowed from the Ubuntu CD; but I had a boss breathing
down my neck.

--
AJS