Re: Disk /dev/md6 doesn't contain valid partition table

Hi!

On Thu 06 November 2008 02:37, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi all:
> The story continues, unfortunately.
>
> After the last kind mail below, I could carry out several long
> parallel computations on all 4 physical (8 logical) dual-opteron 875
> processors , or a fraction of them(amd6a lenny; H8QCE Supermicro
> motherboard; two WD Raptor HD (ext3 file syst) under Linux raid1 as
> previously described; 24GB ram registered ECC Kingston 400 MHz). The
> last computation with 8 processor finished regularly and the computer
> was also regularly shut down (shutdown -h now). No overheating during
> the computations, the machine is very well ventilated and there is
> partial control from "sensors" (Supermicro never provided data to
> fully set up sensors). The booting procedure is set up so as to end at
> the terminal screen. If I want the X sytem (which I use on rare
> occasions) I have to command as user "startx".
> =================================
>
> This morning, trying to start the computer, the kernel seems to be
> loaded but the procedure did not end successfully. On the last part of
> the screen output:
>
> RPB 000...
> R10 000..
> IP13 000...
> FS
> CS
> CR2
> DR0  000   DR1 000  DR!  000
> DR3
>
> Call Trace
> ffff.. down_read_trylock
> ffff... do_page_default
> fff... vma_link
> fff... error_exit
> fff clear_user
> fff pad_zero
> fff load_elf_library
> fff get_arg_page
> fff .. copy_strings
> fff ... search_binary_handler
> fff.. do_execve
> fff.. stub_execve
>

> As the procedure did no proceed farther than this, the computer was
> reset from the "RESET" button, whereby re-booting occurred and the
> screen - unlike the above - showed (inter alia):
>
> PCI found disabled HT MSI Mapping on 0000...
>
> Assign interrupt mode Found MSI capability
>
> Real Time Clock Driver v1.12ac
>
> input MacIntosch mouse button emulation
>
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 316k
>
> input: AT translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input1
>
> (the procedure halted here. Retrying, same sequence of events.
> ===========================
>

> Knoppix 5.3 loaded correctly, as far as I could see. All memory and
> all 8 logical processors and the MacIntosh type mouse were loaded.
> However, clicking on either "sda" or "sdb" on the screen:
>
> Could not mount. Could not determine  the file system type and no one
> was specified.

Francesco,

You would not be able to mount either /dev/sda or /dev/sdb. They designate
your entire hard drives, not valid partitions. Looking back to your earlier
posts, your output from `cat /proc/mdstat` shows that your valid partitions
are: sd[ab]1, sd[ab]2, ..., sd[ab]8. You should be able to mount any one of
these partitions.

If you do mount one of these partitions, you should it as read-only, otherwise
you'll upset your raid-1 device. If you want write capability, then I would
use mdadm to start the appropriate raid device (md0, md1, ..., md7) and then
mount the raid device.

> On the terminal, /home is knoppix. Cd to /mnt showed sda and sdb but
> on cd to these two directories, ls did not show anything. (Problem
> with the HDD?). The computer was shut down from Knoppix.

Knoppix is just confused about your partitions. I can't remember, but are the
partition types set to 'Linux Raid Autodetect'?

> Waiting for some general advice or specific direction as to what
> should be checked.

When trying to diagnose Linux software raid, mdadm is your other friend. Think
of it as a Swiss Army knife. With it, you can create, assemble & manage md
devices. It's pretty intimidating at first, but not that difficult to use.
Check out: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

> Thanks
>
> francesco

HTH