Re: SCSI Device Addresses

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 04:51:26PM +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> I am leaning towards the UUID method to solve this.  Labels after all
> are not guaranteed to remain unique, the UUID will so long as the
> hardware remains constant.
>
> However, I wasn't sure this was the best method and though I would
> consult the combined wisdom of this list.  I'm quite happy to learn from
> other peoples mistakes and go with the another method if it solves other
> problems I haven't encountered yet.
>
> All advice and ideas welcome.

UUIDs work for me.  Driver modules load in parallel and nothing will
ensure consistent device names.  A unique identifier for the filesystem
is just so much better in the long run.  You can add and remove
controllers, swap disks around, etc, and the only thing to worry about
is that your boot loader should be able to be found by the BIOS.