Re: SCSI Device Addresses

Steffan

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 15:09 +0100, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:20:24PM +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> >
> > As the kernel is assigning disk IDs dynamically is there some way of
> > forcing given devices to have given SCSI addresses.  Our plan is to have
> > the 16 disks configured into 4 arrays of four disks each.  There maybe
> > times when a disk array is taken off line and the disks pulled.  What I
> > don't want is for the arrays "downstream" of the pulled array to be
> > assigned different SCSI addresses and thus come up with the wrong file
> > system on the mount points.
>
> What about using labels or UUIDs for mounting?

I am leaning towards the UUID method to solve this.  Labels after all
are not guaranteed to remain unique, the UUID will so long as the
hardware remains constant.

However, I wasn't sure this was the best method and though I would
consult the combined wisdom of this list.  I'm quite happy to learn from
other peoples mistakes and go with the another method if it solves other
problems I haven't encountered yet.

All advice and ideas welcome.

Steve