Re: Dual-core system will not create NTP peers

Stephen Olander-Waters wrote:
On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 22:16 -0600, Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
I have discovered the source of the problem: the file /etc/default/adjtimex had a TICK value of 9750. That's 2.5% less than the standard value of 10000 and accounts exactly for the clock skew I observed.

Oh, I wish I'd remembered that file. I had that problem way back in 2003
when I switched from an old K7 system to a dual Opteron. I used the same
hard drive and everything. I didn't reinstall. The old value was very
different from the new value.

Something to keep in mind when upgrading a motherboard.

In this case, I built a system from scratch, using 1's and 0's made out of flint, and it's a mystery where that TICK value came from.

--
Moshe Yudkowsky * moshe@pobox.com * www.pobox.com/~moshe
 "It's not just a mistake -- it's an adventure!"