Re: Grub and raid

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:02:49AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> Not even /boot?

/boot is part of / in that case.  You only make /boot seperate from / if
you have a good reason.  If you make / be LVM then you need /boot
seperate outside LVM if using grub 0.97 (which most people do).  Some
old systems (and a few current broken ones) limited the bios functions
to the first 1024 cylinders of a disk, in which case /boot had to be at
the start of the disk to allow the boot loader to work, after which the
kernel took over and didn't have the limitations of the bios to worry
about.  Most people fortunately don't have to worry about that one
anymore.

> So here / is in LVM but /boot outside?

Yep.  In general I have kept / outside LVM just in case something screws
up, so that I have a reasonably functional system to use to recover LVM.
WIth / in LVM you need to work within the initrd environment, or perhaps
using a livecd to recover which can be a bit of a pain.

> > I am in the middle of installing a machine with new disks where I have
> > done this:
> >
> > raid1 / using
> > sda1 25G
> > sdb1 25G
> > raid1 /home using
> > sdc1 25G
> > sdd1 25G
> > raid5 LVM using
> > sda2 475G
> > sdb2 475G
> > sdc2 475G
> > sdd2 475G
> >
> > LVM contains swap and /var since I will be using it mainly for mythtv
> > which stores piles of stuff in /var.  I didn't allocate all the LVM
> > space yet so I have 200G free for other stuff if I think of something.
>
> Ah!  To have free space!  I thought 250G was pretty big when I set it up two
> years ago.

Well the machine it is updating has a raid1 with a pair of 320G.  I
thought those were big 18 months ago.