Re: Thunder k8qw s4881

>From my own subsequent examination, no problem about the Kingston 184 pin DIMM
memory slots: socket 940 is for these (DDR2 socket AM2).

However, as far as I can understand, series 2xx dual opteron (which are those I
have) does not fit Thunder k8qw s4881, which requires series 8xx dual opteron.

As I do not understand the difference among 2-way 4-way 8-way servers, are dual
operon series 2xx absolutely prevented to be assembled in two pairs (4 dual
opteron sets), shared memory, on a single motherboard? My interest is in a
workstation for number crushing, no interest in X-system for such a computer,
nor in raid hardware as I set Debian Linux amd64 raid1 software. Such a
motherboard should also be compatible with two WD Raptor 150MB for raid1. I am
saying that because the Thunder K8WE S2895 that I am using proved incompatible
with two 300GB Maxtor that I first chose (and the reasons were clarified on
this mailing list).

Any motherboard that may fit these needs? Or is it worth while to set up a
cluster with two additional series 2xx dual opteron, possibly in the same box
that I am using (CS-721 Enermax).

Thanks
francesco

--- Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Any experience with Tyan Thunder K8QW S4881 with amd64? Or any better
> suggestion  for 4 Dual Opterons.
>
> I am wondering to upgrade to four dual opterons from my Thunder K8WE S2895
> (two
> dual opterons) provided that the following parts from S2895 can be utilized
> on
> the new mainboard:
>
> ---The two Dual Core AMD Opteron 265;
>
> ---Eight Kingston KVR400D4R3A/2GB;
>
> ---Eigth Kingston KVR400D4R3A/1GB (that I have extra);
>
> ---Two WD Serial ATA 150GB;
>
> ---Pixelview 6600 256M (of scarce interest, as I am not going to install the
> system).
>
> ---APC Back-UPS RS 1550.
>
> Probably, the power source ENERMAX Noisetaker EG701AX-VH 600W is insufficient
> for 4 dual opterons.
>
> Thanks
> francesco pietra

> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs