Re: ia32 libs

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 09:05:21AM +0000, A J Stiles wrote:
> On Monday 03 Nov 2008, Alex Samad wrote:
> > >
> > > It also appears to be proprietary software, so no way to fix that.
> >
> > I am a licensed user of the application and the author has been
> > receptive to feedback previously.
> >
> > What would you suggest would be the most constructive way of
> > *suggesting* to fix the problem.
>
> Ask for the Source Code!  After all, you're paying good money for the
> software.  Would you buy a cake without a list of ingredients on the
> packaging?

Um yes, from a good patisserie I would. I am all for open source, but I
am also for closed source - horses for courses. I paid a reasonable (my
opinion ) amount of money, the support I have had has been pretty good.
I knew the risks and bought it as is

> Absence of Source Code does **nothing** to prevent unauthorised copying,
> otherwise there wouldn't be so many pirate copies of Windows and Office out
> there.  It does, however, piss off honest users like you -- in more ways than
> just making them feel that the vendor expects them to be acting dishonestly
> from the word "go".

piss off is a bit strong. it could be argued that if the gtk libraries
were compiled properly (with out full path to libraries) it would work
okay

> > So far I have read its a problem with gtk and the other is to test if it
> > does a clean compile in 64b.
>
> If software that was compiled on one machine runs on another machine, then
> that is just a happy accident.  The Proper Way is, and always has been, to
> compile it on your own machine.  The second best way is to have your own
> machine set up exactly the same as the one on which the software was
> originally compiled.  You can no more expect a package originally compiled
> for Ubuntu to run on Mandriva than you can expect a map of the route from
> your kitchen to your bathroom to be valid in someone else's house.

I pay so I don't have to maintain it, plus having the source is no
guarantee it is going to compile

> Horrendous bodges  (such as installing 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit system)
> are just waiting to come and bite you in the backside.

sorry I thought we were talking about having freedom, the freedom to
have a mix of 32 and 64 bit arch :)

Alex