Re: ia32 libs

A J Stiles wrote:
> On Monday 03 Nov 2008, Alex Samad wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:19:17AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > > It also appears to be proprietary software, so no way to fix that.
> >
> > I am a licensed user of the application and the author has been
> > receptive to feedback previously.
> >
> > What would you suggest would be the most constructive way of
> > *suggesting* to fix the problem.

I¹ have a running Vuescan on SuSE 10.3 (32bit and x86-64bit) under KDE. Maybe
it must compiled for Gnome and other WM.
I going to ask the author for a compiled x86-64bit binary and everybody should
doing that too.

¹Not on my own machine. I hate proprietary software shit. If I want to buy
hardware with free drivers and without BLOBs than I look to the OpenBSD
people. The funny way:  http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html

> Ask for the Source Code!  After all, you're paying good money for the
> software.  Would you buy a cake without a list of ingredients on the
> packaging?

I agree with you. But Vuescan supports much high-end scanners and I think, the
proprietary driver for that are the problem. This expensive scanners (several
1000 EUR or $) must have a standard API and/or free drivers. Ask the hardware
manufacturer for the Source Code! Send a message that open support for
hardware matters. A vendor in Redmond largely continues their practices
because they get the chipset documentation years before everyone else does.

Did I mention,
continually ask the hardware manufacturers for the Source Code!?

> Absence of Source Code does **nothing** to prevent unauthorised copying,
> otherwise there wouldn't be so many pirate copies of Windows and Office out
> there.
For Windows and Office you can get cracked keys! Thats why the copies are able
to run. A copy of Vuescan without a key places $$ watermarks on your saved
scans.

> You can no more expect a package originally compiled for Ubuntu
>  to run on Mandriva than you can expect a map of the route from
> your kitchen to your bathroom to be valid in someone else's house.
cp to sig  ;-)

Ciao Marco.